The correct way to warm up the car in the concept of most people, always think that early in the morning (or a long time without using the car) to use the car, after starting the car to idle in place to warm up the car, wait for three to five minutes and then on the road, so that the most beneficial to the car. But what about the reality? Are you sure this is the right way to warm up the car? According to a statistic: more than ninety percent of the wear and tear of engine parts is caused within three minutes after starting the car from cold. Therefore, how to warm up the car properly is a topic of concern for all car lovers. But before we explain the method of warming up the car, let’s first understand why the car actually needs to be warmed up.
Understand the reason for warming up the car to be able to warm up the car correctly
First, after a long time of parking the car, the oil in the engine flows back to the lower part of the engine oil sump. Therefore, after a long time without using the car (such as overnight) to start the engine, the upper part of the engine is in the absence of oil, lack of lubrication. It takes about 30 seconds after starting the engine for the oil pump to operate and deliver oil to the pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft, which are the parts of the engine that need the most lubrication. But even if the engine is started immediately after the road, as long as the throttle is not slammed, keep the low speed. The effect is the same as idle running.
Second, before the engine reaches the working temperature (about between 90-110 degrees Celsius), its oil supply system because the temperature is still low, are unable to effectively gasoline completely gasified (I believe we all know that the liquid temperature rises to the boiling point on gasification). In the gasoline has not been gasified and “wet” liquid, it is not easy to burn and start the engine. At this time, it is necessary to rely on the role of the damper to prevent some air from entering the cylinder in order to improve the gasoline/air mixture ratio and increase the engine speed so that the engine does not stall. When the normal working temperature is reached, the automatic damper will naturally return to normal state due to mechanical action; manual damper cars must remember to put the damper back. Otherwise, the oil/air mixture ratio is too high; not only wasting gasoline, horsepower, and incomplete combustion of gasoline will be black smoke. A cold engine to reach a normal working temperature takes about seven or eight minutes to ten minutes, depending on the type of car, and during this time, there is no need to warm up the car in place, as long as you do not drive at high speed.
Thirdly. The transmission gear lubrication, which is the most ignorant and easy to ignore the general public. Transmission gear oil and engine oil are the same places: in the cold when the gear oil flows to the lower half of the transmission. Only when driving will the gears run and bring up the gear oil at the bottom to lubricate the upper part. This is the reason why most of the cars have a rough shift when cold. The solution is not to warm up the car in place. Because the transmission does not have a gear oil pump, only the engine moves when warmed up in place, but the rest of the car is not moving, only when it is actually on the road and drives slowly for a while. This situation is improved.
The biggest advantage of warming up the car is to avoid cold engine wear.
According to some data, about 90% of the wear and tear occurs at the moment of starting. The real way to love the car is to learn to protect the motor first. Therefore, it is not advisable to kill the “hot car” approach.
- Reason 1: When starting the engine overnight, the upper part of the engine is in a state of lack of lubrication. This requires warming up the car about 30 seconds after starting, and the oil will be transported to the engine most need lubrication pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft, and other parts.
- Reason 2: As we learned in physics class, a liquid will vaporize when its temperature rises to the boiling point. The working temperature required for complete vaporization of gasoline is 90-110℃. When gasoline is not yet vaporized and is in a “wet” liquid state, it is not easy to burn and start the engine. A cold engine takes about seven to eight minutes to ten minutes to reach normal working temperature, depending on the type of car. There is no need to warm up the car in place during this time, as long as you do not drive at high speed.
- Reason 3: Transmission gear oil flows to the lower half of the transmission when it is cold. Only when driving will the gears run and bring up the gear oil at the bottom to lubricate the upper part. This is the reason why most of the cars shift sharply when cold. The solution is to warm up the car by driving at low speed.
Warm-up experience notes the following four points.
- 1. idle speed warm-up is not the longer the better. Long warm-up time, the engine does useless work, wasting fuel, and is not conducive to environmental protection. Generally speaking, the warm-up time is shorter in summer; 1-2 minutes can be. In winter, due to the low temperature, the viscosity of the oil at the bottom of the engine is higher, the warm-up time needs to be longer, generally 3-5 minutes. The simple judgment is to see the tachometer pointer turn to within 1000 rpm, and the water temperature gauge began to move can be normal driving. 2.
- 2. Do not press the throttle when idling at idle. It is best to drive the first 2-4 kilometers at a speed of about 40 yards per hour smoothly. Otherwise, it will make the engine wear quickly and seriously damage the engine parts.
- 3. small-displacement warm-up must be thorough, such as 3-cylinder or 4-cylinder displacement. Because the small displacement means small power, large load, a cold car running up, the machine can not stand. On the contrary, a car with a large or slightly larger displacement can basically go when there is a temperature. 4.
- 4. underground parking lot hot car, never have a little water temperature on the go. Because from the underground garage out, basically to a steeper slope, when the engine has not yet reached the normal working temperature, hard on the car can only make more wear and tear.
Winter warm-up precautions
When you start the engine, the lubrication of the internal parts of the engine is poor. If you immediately put it in gear, it will cause serious wear and tear on the engine, especially in winter. Warm-up is to increase the engine’s working temperature and, most importantly, to let the parts get fully lubricated. The wear and tear of the mechanical parts of the engine are mainly caused within 2 minutes of cold start, and correct warm-up can extend the service life of the engine.
For the electronically controlled fuel-injected engines used nowadays, when the ambient temperature is high, the warm-up time after the cold start should not be too long, about 2 minutes before you can drive on the road. For the winter in Qingdao, you need to warm up the car for 3-5 minutes after a cold start and wait for the water temperature gauge to change slightly before driving on the road. Before the water temperature reaches the normal value, remember not to drive at high speed, high speed, and you should drive at low speed to make the engine water temperature reach the normal value.
There are a lot of car owners on driving in the warm-up misunderstanding, that the engine should be in place to warm up, warming up in place for more than 10 minutes of car owners very much. In fact, a long time to warm up the car in situ is not very scientific. Idling in situ will waste gasoline and time. The main thing is that it will produce carbon deposits. With the growth of vehicle mileage, the carbon problem will seriously affect the power of the vehicle and fuel consumption, so it is important to avoid idling in place for too long.
In fact, the content of warming up the car is very simple, but for a variety of reasons, most car owners are very difficult to do the correct warm-up. It is because there are some wrong operations in daily driving so that the car will appear all kinds of failure.